Thursday, February 17, 2011

Lettie Claire Cochran

We were all quite surprised to have this sweet baby come so soon but we wouldn't have it any other way.

Lettie is such a sweet baby, right now all she is doing is sleeping and eating. It's wonderful. She is getting better at eating for longer periods of time but because she was early she sleeps a lot longer inbetween feedings. She is also a little bit jaundice so we have to take her to the hospital for the second time for a blood test to make sure it's resolving itself.

Liza is such a good big sister. She loves Lettie and is always wanting to hold her and give her kisses. She is adjusting to sisterhood better than Brett or I could have hoped for.

Now I'll go over the birth story for those who care but it's mostly so I remember.

BIRTH STORY

     Friday the 11th I had my 37 week appointment at the doctors office. I decided to get "checked" to see if I could possibly have a baby the next week. (I was really really hoping for it but thinking it probably wouldn't happen because Liza was 2 days late) I found out I was at a 3 and 1/2. I was estatic. I kept having pretty regular contractions for the rest of the day but never anything uncomfortable or really consistent.
     Brett and I were babysitting my sister's kids in Rigby and because of the news at the doctor we decided to pack up Liza's stuff just in case things were going to progress. Things did keep going and so we decided to head to the hospital and see if they would keep me.
     At the hospital I was at a 4 and 1/2 but still nothing uncomfortable or painful at all and they weren't regular so they sent me home becuase I was only 37 weeks along.
     In the morning I woke up and cleaned and we decided to go to the doctor and get checked again because things sort of picked up again. At the doctors I was at a 5 and they sent me to the hospital and broke my water. The doctor got to the hospital maybe 15 minutes after us and by then I was at a 6 and I was still very calm and comfortable.
     Brett left for lunch and to get our bags and then when he came back I got my epidural. I didn't need it at all but I didn't want to get to the pushing stage without it very bad. I laid back and relaxed while Brett watched a movie and by the time it was over the nurse came in. I told her that I had started to feel a little bit of the contractions through my epidural. She was surprised and looked at the monitor. My contractions were still 3 minutes apart. After she looked I told her that I was actually feeling like I needed to push. She checked me and told me to absolutely not push because the baby's head was right there. The doctor was called and a couple of pushes later she was out.
     I had some complications after birth. We chose not to tell anyone until it was resolved so it wouldn't freak anyone out but I started to hemmorage. I ended up losing a liter and a half of blood and I had to be monitored closely for a couple of hours. Everything is just fine now and I am feeling better than I did after Liza was born.
     We are so glad that Lettie is here! It is really crazy to think that we are now a family of 4 but we're pretty happy. There is nothing better than snuggling with our two girls.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I am glad everything ended up being OK. That's pretty scary! Congrats on the new baby! I am so happy for you! You better post pictures soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thankful you are okay. I am glad you are feeling better. Woo hoo for little Lettie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work Jen! I am glad that you are doing so well. You are tuff!

    ReplyDelete